Presented by Tamar Andrews at the 2007 Biennial workshop "Tot Shabbat That Rocks"
1. We have one parent from each class volunteer to be the Tot Shabbat representative to the Tot Shabbat Committee.
2. The Tot Shabbat Committee is made up of members from the entire congregation.
3. We send out refrigerator magnets at the beginning of the school year that has the dates of every Tot Shabbat event for the year.
4. Each Tot Shabbat has both a project that children make and take home as well as a project that children make to give to someone else (poor person, homeless shelter, soldiers in Iraq, etc.).
5. Two classes sponsor a Tot Shabbat so that we always know that there will a great turnout and to make sure that turnout is from all spectrums of the temple.
6. You can write a letter in advance to local supermarkets and detail your event. Many stores will provide you with approximately $25-$100 worth of food for your event.
7. Make a CD of Tot Shabbat music that you send home to parents so that they will be familiar with what you do. It creates a more comfortable feeling when families know what they are singing.
8. Make it inviting to grandparents and relatives as well and take plenty of pictures of them together. Then use these pictures for your temple newsletters.
9. It is important for the ECE director and ECE teachers to attend as well, (whenever possible) so that families see that this is temple event and that it is important.
10. Each event should be unique and creative so that families anticipate Tot Shabbat and eagerly look forward to the next one.
Ask a Rabbi
Subscribe to Newsletters
Connect with Rabbi Rick Jacobs