· Islam is a religion and a way of life in which the primary goal is to serve Allah to enhance the life of the individual and the community much like Judaism is a religion and way of life that seeks to serve God in the betterment of life on earth.
· At the core of Islam is the notion of tawhid or Oneness of the universe and among all living creatures.
Questions addressed in this lesson:
· How do Muslims serve Allah/God?
· What happens if a Muslim sins or does not serve Allah?
· What are the differences, if any, of how Muslims in different parts of the world serve Allah?
· What are the texts that guide Muslims in their service of Allah?
· What is the concept of tawhid or Oneness?
· How does tawhid guide and influence the practice and perspectives of Muslims?
· Sunnah(way of life, as in the way of life practiced by the Prophet Muhammed)
· Shariah(Islamic law, not so different from Jewish halakha)
Text to be used:
· Selections from the Quran
· Have a copy of the Quran available. Recommended translation is The Koran Interpreted, a translation by A.J. Arberry
· Excerpt from Islam for Dummies by Malcolm Clark
Overview of Session:
I. Questions from last session 15 minutes
II. Introduction of context of Five Pillars of Faith and Five Pillars of Practice 5 minutes
III. Text study 2: Elias text and selected Quran texts 65-75 minutes