Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion is proud to partner with Westchester Reform Temple (WRT) and the Union for Reform Judaism to share a Yom Kippur afternoon of learning, prayer, and inspiration. Rabbi Jonathan Blake and URJ President Rabbi Rick Jacobs have organized an incredible program highlighting four distinguished scholars who were inaugurated last year as our Rabbi Aaron D. Panken Professors.
All videos can be found at vimeo.com/hucjir or by clicking individual professors' names in the list below.
Each of these brilliant professors offer a contribution to the WRT Rabbi Aaron D. Panken, z”l, Memorial Shiur:
- Rabbi Dvora E. Weisberg, Ph.D. (Rabbi Aaron D. Panken Professor of Rabbinics, Jack H. Skirball Campus, Los Angeles), teaching about Jonah
- Rabbi Joseph A. Skloot, Ph.D. (Rabbi Aaron D. Panken Assistant Professor of Modern Jewish Intellectual History, New York), teaching the Eileh Ezkra (martyrology) prayers
- Jennifer Grayson, Ph.D. (Rabbi Aaron D. Panken Assistant Professor of History, Cincinnati), teaching on Unetaneh Tokef
- Rabbi Dalia Marx, Ph.D. (Rabbi Aaron D. Panken Professor of Liturgy and Midrash, Taube Family Campus, Jerusalem) teaching on “The Emergence of Yom Kippur, or Who Invented Yom Kippur and Why?”
Together, they give honor to Rabbi Panken's memory, lift up the themes of the Day of Atonement, and help us all draw near to one another and to the Jewish tradition, during an extraordinary time of challenge and change in American Jewish life.”
There are two ways to participate in this virtual program:
- Individually: Individuals may register to attend the entire program on Yom Kippur (Monday, September 28 at 3:30 PM Eastern time) through the WRT livestream.
- As a congregation/organization: Videos of the individual lessons of the HUC Panken Professors and the entirety of their presentations will be available about two weeks before Yom Kippur for congregations/organizations to download and make available on Yom Kippur afternoon to their communities. Register your community.