In Jewish religious tradition, as well as in Jewish historical experience, racism is an ultimate evil. Our prophets and rabbis taught that all human beings are created in the image of God and have an equal claim to equity and justice. Throughout its history, the UAHC has spoken with vigor and clarity against racial segregation and discrimination in the United States and everywhere else in the world.
South Africa is the only country in the modern world that constitutionally establishes white supremacy and racial oppression. Accordingly, the apartheid regime poses a moral challenge to all who cherish liberty and decency. Apartheid is a system that affronts the most profound values of humanity and democracy and violates the teaching of our religion.
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Union of American Hebrew Congregations:
- Reaffirms its condemnation of apartheid.
- Calls upon the government of South Africa to:
- Release immediately Nelson Mandela and all other prisoners who are being held because of their opposition to apartheid.
- Enter into negotiations aimed at eliminating apartheid with the bona fide representatives of the victims of apartheid.
Calls on the Canadian Parliament and (recognizing the need to strengthen the president's Executive Order implementing South African sanctions) the
United States Congress to enact legislation that will do the following:
- Ban new business investment and bank loans in South Africa.
- Ban the importation into the United States and Canada of all Krugerrands and other gold South African coins.
- Ban all sales of United States and Canadian equipment usable for military and police purposes, including sales of computers and computerized equipment to the South African government.
- Ban all sales of nuclear material, equipment, and technology and the transfer of nuclear know-how to South Africa.
- Ban United States and Canadian contributions to South Africa through the International Monetary Fund.
- Calls upon the governments of the United States and Canada to reduce the level of diplomatic recognition of South Africa.
Further calls on the United States Congress and the Canadian Parliament to enact the following legislation if substantial progress toward the abolition
of apartheid does not occur within one year.
- Mandate the disinvestment of United States and Canadian firms from South Africa.
- Institute a total trade embargo among the United States, Canada, and South Africa.
- Directs the Board of Trustees in a manner it deems appropriate and responsible to boycott firms that engage in business in South Africa and that have not accepted the Sullivan Principles.
- Directs the Board of Trustees to divest the UAHC of all investments in corporations doing business in South Africa, in accordance with the spirit of the 1971 resolution on corporate responsibility.
- Urges organizations affiliated with the UAHC, as well as Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion, the Central Conference of American Rabbis, and congregations and their members to initiate a process of divestment in corporations that do business in South Africa in accordance with the spirit of the l97l resolution on corporate responsibility.
- Further recommends that UAHC congregations and their individual members cease the purchase of Krugerrands and other South African gold coins as an immediate, direct, personal and symbolic protest against South Africa's racist and repressive regime.
Strongly affirms its fraternal support for the South African Union for Progressive Judaism, the Southern African Association of Progressive Rabbis, and
the South African Jewish Board of Deputies in:
- Their support for fundamental reform of South African life and institutions.
- Their condemnation of violence.
- Their complete rejection of apartheid.