As Russia's vicious attack on Ukraine continues, we feel anger, pain, and a desire to act. Here are some steps you can take to support the Ukrainian people, including the Progressive Jewish community:
Donate: The World Union for Progressive Judaism has opened a Ukraine Crisis Relief Fund. Money will be spent on individuals and communities to ensure their safety and well-being. Donate to the WUPJ fund now.
Pray: Religious Action Center Director Rabbi Jonah Dov Pesner joined an interfaith prayer service led by members of Congress. "We pray for and embrace in our hearts all God's children who are dying and suffering…Let not the world stand idly by while our Ukrainian family bleeds." Watch the prayer service.
Learn: The World Union for Progressive Judaism has been sharing powerful videos and testimony from Kiev's Rabbi Alexander Dukhovny and Rabbi Julia Gris of Shirat ha-Yam / Progressive Jewish Congregation of Odessa. Watch HIAS' briefing call from April 25 to learn more about Uniting for Ukraine - the Biden administration's new plan to bring 100,000 Ukrainian refugees to the U.S.
Act: The crisis in Ukraine has already created half a million refugees and counting. Now is the time to welcome these refugees with open arms. There are many ways you can help Ukrainian refugees under the Biden administration's Uniting for Ukraine plan.
- Individuals can sponsor Ukrainian friends or family members looking to come to the U.S. If you want to sponsor a friend or family member, we encourage you to go directly to the governmental portal to fill out the necessary forms.
- Congregations, organizations, and communities seeking to support refugees but who do not have a named individual in mind can fill out this form from HIAS with as much information as you have available. This is not a formal commitment, just a way for HIAS to be in touch with more information for those interested.
- Check out HIAS' Ukraine Crisis FAQs or watch their April 25th briefing for more information on the refugee situation and how you can help.
- Showing We Care by David Arnow
- Sermon by Cantor Vicky Glikin of Temple Emanu-El, Dallas, TX
- Join the Fast for Ukraine on March 16th
We will continue to update this blog as new information and opportunities become available, so check back soon!