Audacious Hospitality is the Reform Jewish Movement's focused effort on Racial Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (REDI) work. Learn more about the work of Audacious Hospitality, and find our Audacious Hospitality team's carefully curated resources here, for use by congregations, Jewish communities, families, and individuals.
What is Racial Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (REDI)?
A major component of this is ensuring that all our Jewish communal spaces are affirming and just for all Jews and their loved ones, which we – both as the Reform Jewish community and as broader Jewish community – have not yet achieved. We can further advance toward this vision by learning and implementing three core principles/practices: diversity, inclusion, and equity.
You may have heard these terms before, but what do they actually mean? And how can we apply them to our Jewish spaces? To learn more about the concepts of Racial Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (REDI), please check out our resources below:
How to Create a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Working Group
You might be thinking that your community has years of experience assembling committees and taskforces, and you already have a great blueprint for building your DEI Working Group. However, we are asking you to assemble your DEI focused group in a potentially different way than you might have done previously. See "How to Create a DEI Working Group" to get started.
Audacious Hospitality Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Community Assessment
The Audacious Hospitality Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Community Assessment is a starting point for reflection, conversation, and action within your community. It is intended to help your community identify the steps needed to become a community rooted in principles of DEI.
This assessment will help you build on your existing measures and aid in initiating new ones. Think of this as an idea checklist: a vision of the type of community that you strive to be. In addition, there is also a version available for your camp community. Please fill out this short form to download the camp DEI Assessment.
As part of the Community Assessment, you will be asked to first create a DEI Working Group. See above for a resource to guide you in creating this group.
Linked below are select documents created by the Audacious Hospitality team designed to assist you in making your community more equitable and inclusive.
- Inclusive Program Checklist
- Colorblind Mentality/Microaggression Resource
- A Tool for White People Navigating Conversations Around Race
- URJ & Keshet Trans Inclusion Guide
- Community Racial Justice Checklist
- Books, Films, and More to Delve into Antiracism Work
- Video messages from Reform leaders of Color, Deitra Reiser, Yolanda Savage-Narva, and Evan Traylor, as well as an accompanying Discussion Guide
For action items and backgrounders on Racial Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in the Reform Jewish community, please visit the Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism's racial justice issue page, with a link to additional racial justice resources.
Audacious Hospitality Educational Resource Modules
- LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer) Educational Resource Module: Resources about how to address homophobia and heteronormativity in your community including:
- "LGBTQ History in the Reform Movement"
- "Gendered Language and the Importance of Pronouns"
- "Aliyot for All Genders: Inclusive Options for Calling People to the Torah"
- "Designing Forms for Sexuality and Gender Diversity and Inclusion"
- Jews of Color (JOC) Educational Resource Module: Resources about to how to create a more antiracist and inclusive environment including:
- "Jewish Identity and Jewish Diversity"
- "Reconsidering Being Colorblind"
- "What Are Microaggressions and How Can We Address Them?"
- "Book Lists for Inclusion, Diversity, and Racial Justice for Kids and Adults"